February 28, 2011

Oscar Fashion 2011

So, like most, I didn't really enjoy the award show.  I love love love Colin Firth and The King's Speech, so I'm very glad they took home the top awards.  But after the Golden Globes debacle with Ricky Gervais (an award show that I ACTUALLY found entertaining), I'm completely annoyed with how serious Hollywood takes itself. I will say, however, that I do enjoy seeing all the fun dresses! So, let's discuss some of the highlights, both good and bad.

FANCYYYYYY

My absolute favorite from last night was Mila Kunis' Elie Saab dress.  It's so creative, yet feminine.  I think she looked absolutely beautiful! It made me wish she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress.


There was another lilac number I found intriguing - Cate Blanchett's gown from Givenchy.  At first, I thought it was super weird and maybe a bad idea.  However, the intricacy of all the bead work and the yellow accent caused the dress to grow on me. I can understand why she picked it - definitely a risk that worked out for the best.


Jennifer Lawrence looked stunning in her red Calvin Klein!  The 20 year old maintained her youth by not covering herself in ridiculous amounts of jewelry.  So simple, elegant, and sexy too!


Gwenyth Paltrow surprised me when she, too, wore Calvin Klein!  She normally goes for a bigger dress, but I loved this sleek silvery shape on her.  It goes so well with the modern hairdo she's been sporting lately.


Ok, onto the highlights of horror...

BLAHHHHHH

I honestly don't care that Marisa Tomei's dress was vintage Charles James, it just did not fit her well!  Look at all that puckering and pulling.  It just didn't look right to me...


Ohhhhh, Melissa Leo - that dress is a f***ing nightmare (I'm referencing her acceptance speech here, so please don't think I'm being crass).  I think the shape is really flattering on her, but the gold lame with a super thick lace overlay?? Eeeeeek! Risk gone wrong.


And who lied to Nicole Kidman?  I don't know in what era or world this Dior dress would be cute in... I understand the idea behind the structure.  But to add all that tacky beading on top of it just ruins the lightness, and makes it look super heavy and frumpy.  Not to mention her styling is SO off - what's going on with that 1980s bang?


OK, I've reached my Oscar limit. Let me know which dresses you liked/disliked!

No comments:

Post a Comment